FACIS (Fraud Abuse Control Information System) for healthcare providers
FACIS is a must in the healthcare industry to help you identify persons or entities that are prohibited from being involved in any Medicare, Medicaid and ALL Federal health care programs as an employee, vendor or service provider. It is a search of the of the Office of Inspector General’s (OIG) records for matches on the “List of Excluded Individuals/Entities” to help you identify those subjects. The penalties for violation are $10,000 per each service provided during their exclusion period.
Why is FACIS important to you as a medical provider?
Simply it is all about risk management to protect your financial assets. The United States Office of Inspector General (OIG) can fine individuals and / or practices $10,000 per incident the excluded person you just hired has patient contact or provides a service.
But I didn’t know their license was revoked in another state.
Probably true but the OIG looks at these issues as if you knew or reasonable could have known about the action against your applicant or employee. FACIS allows you the ability to demonstrate your due diligence in this area by providing you instant access to over 800 state and federal provider information resources.
A FACIS search from EBS offers you many benefits:
- Instant results to reduce turn around times,
- FACIS Level 3 Searches – To provide the broadest nationwide search possible of current license standings,
- Historical search functions are included to search for past “bad acts” for nearly a decade,
- A cost effective research tool with a broad scope and a long memory,
- Easy to read results that will identify the person and what lead the imposed sanction.